Accueil   Home  /  Forums

General discussions, all subjects :-) 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Sharp pc Overclocking and tape recording
Posted by: Pierre Brial (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2003 10:57AM

You probably know that it is very easy to overclock the 80's Sharp PC. You simply have to replace the 768 khz oscillator (the most easy to access component) with a faster one.
But this will be increase also the speed of tape recording, then it will not be possible to load previously recorded programs, connect together 2 Sharps with different oscillator, or use the wav2bin utility.
Nevertheless, I found a trick to overcome this limitation. You have first to save or record the program with your sound card as a wave file. Then with a sound editor, you can change the lenght of the sound. The ratio is simply the value of the new oscillator divided by the value of the old one. This work fine for me :
I put a 1 Mhz (1000 khz) oscillator in a PC-1262 and in a PC-1403.
If I want to convert from 1 Mhz to 768 khz I use the shareware Goldwave :
Menu Effect\Time Warp\ speed 0.768 (=768/1000)
For the inverse operation, the value of speed is 1.3021 (=1000/768)

All the best,

Pierre

Re: Sharp pc Overclocking and tape recording
Posted by: Saso Tomat (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2003 01:15PM

Very good.

Though I will not do this (I don't do overclocking - I keep my PCs (BIG (Personal Computers) and small(Pocket Computers)) at their original CPU speed).

Saso

Posted by: Pierre Brial (IP Logged)
Date: July 27, 2003 10:05AM

Saso, you are right. One should not change the hardware of our machines. But I use my sharps for very heavy scientific calculations, and despite being as optimized as I could, even with some Machine language routines, the programs are still slow when it comes to repetitive trigonometry. So oveclocking really helps.
To the contrary, I also have a PC-e500, which is fast enough for me, so I don't feel the need to overclock it.
So, you may ask, why not use only the PC-e500 ? Very good question indeed. It's a great computer and I love this machine. But it is less "pocketable" than older Sharps. I mean, a bit too large and heavy to be bring everywhere, and my shirt pockets are too small. So the PC-e500 remain on my desk, and the PC-1262 (and sometimes the PC-1403) follows me in the field.

All the Best

Pierre

Posted by: Saso Tomat (IP Logged)
Date: July 28, 2003 08:14AM

I agree. Old generation (PC-12XX,13XX,14XX) are cool PCs. New generation is just a little bit to big.

Saso

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.